Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust finally done  (Read 140 times)

Offline deucekazoo

Exhaust finally done
« on: 12:13:59 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
This took a long time to do. My first time TIG welding, not the prettiest of welds but I think they will hold. I learned a lot doing this exhaust and have massive respect for people that do fabrication ones that can make these welds look pretty.
2.5" stainless tubing
stainless 2 bolt flange
stainless V-band clamp flange
stainless 1/8" sheets for brackets

The car sounds so much better now. I was running just the downpipe and yes it was loud but not as bad as you would think.
Here are some pics.

I followed the old exhaust to get the angles.

Here is the V-band clamp so I can take the exhaust off without dropping the cradle. I used the V-band clamp to have room. I originally was going to use the 2 bolt flange but did not have enough room.

I used a Borla muffler I had laying around that was on a different car. I also had to make some weird brackets to use the original exhaust brackets and hold down points.

I am proud of this weld. lol

A shot from the rear of the car.

This is the bracket that holds the muffler. There is also one on the front of the muffler but hard to take a picture of. I pushed the muffler as far forward as I could and you will see why in the next few pics. I angled the muffler to follow the heat shield so it actually points into the corner of the bumper.

And this is what I had to do to get the tailpipe to come out the hole and be straight.

Stainless 3.5" tip. It moved on me when I was welding the pipe to the muffler so not perfectly straight but not too bad. I will probably fix it later but right now I don't want to see or touch a welder for a few weeks. lol
« Last Edit: 12:14:21 PM / 17-Aug-17 by deucekazoo »

Facebook Share    

Offline kelso840

Re: Exhaust finally done
« Reply #1 on: 12:40:37 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
You did a damn good job for your first crack. What kind of welding experience do you have? I'm guessing this wasn't your first rodeo if you were able to lay even one nice bead.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #2 on: 01:55:38 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
Thanks kelso.
I have had a MIG for a few years now. just use it to fix stuff around the house and on cars. I actually purchased a TIG machine to do this job. Got to tell you, I like the TIG a lot better than the MIG. You seem to have a lot more control and its cleaner if that makes sense. I just practiced on aluminum brackets I was making for the car and also on stainless tubing I had laying around. I also watched a crap load of YouTube videos to see how its done and what the settings should be set to on the machine. But truthfully this is the first real welding job I did that took hours and hours of welding and also first time doing pie cuts to make bends. I would say each bend took me about an hour to weld up. I really had fun doing this.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #3 on: 02:18:43 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
Based on your experience, would I be a fool to skip a MIG welder and jump right into learning ona TIG? I know I need a welder and to start practicing, but it seems like TIG is where all roads end, so why not start there?

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #4 on: 02:53:26 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
If I did this again and knowing what I know now, I would just get the TIG. But they both do have their uses. The reason I did get the MIG originally, was because I do most of the welding or fixing outside. I don't use gas with the MIG but a flux core wire. This is nice because you don't have to worry about the wind blowing your shield gas away. With TIG you have to be inside because the shield gas is very important. Also a few years back the MIG was a lot cheaper than the TIG and still is but now you have companies that make really good TIG machines at great prices. My new TIG was actually cheaper than the MIG I bought a few years back. This is just machine and not any accessories. I would say a TIG is for fabrication and a MIG is for fixing broken things.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #5 on: 03:20:34 PM / 17-Aug-17 »
This is the exact advice I was looking for. Thanks for giving me a nice framework for the decision making process when that day comes (hopefully) later this year.