Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternator/Voltage Regulator/Charging Question  (Read 92 times)

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
Alternator/Voltage Regulator/Charging Question
« on: 04:09:45 PM / 11-Oct-17 »
I've had a squeaky old but well tensioned alt belt for several months - only happens at idle with lights & fan on - worse at higher fan speeds, add brights - higher load. So changed belt, nice and tight, still does it.  At cold start, gauge starts at 12-12.5v with idle at 1k & squeals if I give it gas. After 10-15 secs gauge creeps to 13v and problem gone. If I add lights & fan even if warm gauge drops & squeal is back at idle. Get rpm above 1200 and no problem.
Battery good & 1 yr old. Garaged car not getting below 60 degrees yet. Wondering if this is voltage reg in alternator - can store test that and honor my forever warranty??
Thanks Gents!!

Facebook Share    

Offline weitrhino

• '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Re: Alternator/Voltage Regulator/Charging Question
« Reply #1 on: 02:02:53 PM / 12-Oct-17 »
Can't tell you how many alternators I went through on my first S12, probably half a dozen until I ditched the Hitachi brand and went with a Bosch. It cost more but never had an issue again. I do recall cracking a Hitachi open one time to replace either the regulator or rectifier pack -- can't recall which it was.

It sounds like the squealing is from a slipping belt, possibly glazed, for which I've had past success with a product called Belt-Ez. Otherwise I'd also look at the spindle's bushing for any binding or corrosion but I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself change the whole alternator again.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: 06:05:07 PM / 12-Oct-17 »
Squeal is definitely belt - just changed it last week, lots of tension but still get a squeal when rpm <1000 & volts drop to 12 and put any electric load (lights & fan do it). Again, if I keep rpm >1200 it stays at 13+ volts and never a squeal no matter the load.  That's why I think regulator - which means alternator replace. Do you think parts store can replicate this problem on their bench?

Offline weitrhino

• '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #3 on: 08:11:46 AM / 13-Oct-17 »
One way to find out I guess because you're going to have to pull it anyway. Get a spray can of that Belt-Ez for the squeal.

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #4 on: 02:27:51 PM / 16-Oct-17 »
You should be getting 14.1 to 14.4 volts across the battery with engine running and under load (lights, defogger and blower fan on).  Sounds like you need a new alternator.
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: 04:20:39 PM / 16-Oct-17 »
New one on order - original purchase 1999 Al's Auto lifetime warranty. Schucks bought Al's and replaced it for me twice. O'Reillys bought Schucks and is honoring my original warranty. Pays to keep your receipts!  Last change was in 2003. The guy at the counter was so impress he called all the other guys over to see the receipt trail lol!

Offline Nebuchernezzer

« Reply #6 on: 12:46:05 AM / 17-Oct-17 »
For anyone who hasn't already fixed the problem replacing the reg, rectifier, brushes and bearings isn't a difficult job.
Didn't cost me much either, took me about an hour but it'd be quicker if i did it again.

Also that's pretty awesome for a warranty! :)

If looks could kill you'd have eyes like cyanide...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/zeruel

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #7 on: 02:31:00 PM / 17-Oct-17 »
For anyone who hasn't already fixed the problem replacing the reg, rectifier, brushes and bearings isn't a difficult job.
Didn't cost me much either, took me about an hour but it'd be quicker if i did it again.

Also that's pretty awesome for a warranty! :)

Agreed.  The problem with some of these re-manufactured electronic components (starters, alternators, etc.) is that only the worn out part(s) is replaced by the builder and not all the repairable parts are replaced so somewhere down the line something else would failed.  If you can do a proper rebuild as Nebuchernezzer suggested then the component should last as long as oem new item.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: 04:28:47 PM / 17-Oct-17 »
My oem made it 14 years, my 2nd one went 4 years, a 3rd one was no good and was replaced in a couple months. #4 has made it 14 years as a rebuild. See what #5 can do!

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #9 on: 02:25:45 PM / 18-Oct-17 »
This is interesting, my oem lasted about 14 years at around 200,000 km (124k miles).  If all is well then #5 should give you 14 years of service.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #10 on: 02:56:49 PM / 18-Oct-17 »
I bought my car without an alternator. I got one and had it rebuilt, it lasted for only 500km so I bought another rebuilt one and this one seems to be alright so far...
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...