Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What parts are needed?  (Read 633 times)

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
What parts are needed?
« on: 07:45:38 PM / 20-Oct-17 »
Just out of curiosity, what's needed?

I'm just getting a feeler here for what parts everyone needs, but they can't find. It'll probably go nowhere, but it'd be nice to see what everyone is after.

Were dash vents ever brought to market?
« Last Edit: 07:46:07 PM / 20-Oct-17 by JonB »

Facebook Share    

Online kelso840

Re: What parts are needed?
« Reply #1 on: 11:17:49 AM / 21-Oct-17 »
Dash vents did not pan out from what I recall.

Do the parts have to be OEM? Here's my wishlist:
 1. Top of windshield trim
 2. Fog Lights
 3. Metal Headlight Cover Cage Things
 4. Rain Sensor (that I can attach to a turbo hood)
 5. Rain Guards
 6. New Grey Carpet
 7. 1-2 Dash Vents

Lots of that stuff could be found or fabbed.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #2 on: 12:05:52 PM / 21-Oct-17 »
dash vents and top windshield trim for me too

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #3 on: 05:07:44 PM / 21-Oct-17 »
Dash vents did not pan out from what I recall.

Do the parts have to be OEM? Here's my wishlist:
 1. Top of windshield trim
 2. Fog Lights
 3. Metal Headlight Cover Cage Things
 4. Rain Sensor (that I can attach to a turbo hood)
 5. Rain Guards
 6. New Grey Carpet
 7. 1-2 Dash Vents

Lots of that stuff could be found or fabbed.

Top of window trim, I think is available. The chrome is expensive from Nissan. The black; universal works.

I got nothing on the fog lights.

Metal headlight cages; this is the euro grate thing? Isn't there a universal grate available? I saw a pic once, but I can remember specifics. I could probably make that fairly easily, but there has to be some demand.

Nothing on the rain sensor.

Nothing on the carpet. Google that? I will later, I think they may be out there.

Rain guards - your asking for a pretty big piece of plastic here, which means a big mold, and a big injection machine. I don't know that demand is going to cover that. This is aftermarket style? I could maybe do aluminum, but I need demand.

The dash vents; it's a several component part. So would this be the whole assembly? Or do most guys just need the fins or the link? Understand that every plastic component you ask for, I'd have to make a negative of it in a block of aluminum. Fins not much of a problem. The outter surround - many hours. I could probably mill the little link thing out of aluminum, and never bother to make a mold if the demand is low - it's not really cosmetic, so I wouldn't make each one a peach, just make them function.

I'm just looking at demand. If there's volume where I feel could atleast break even, I may do it, then look for another part where process is similar.
« Last Edit: 05:09:22 PM / 21-Oct-17 by JonB »

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #4 on: 06:03:30 PM / 21-Oct-17 »
For the record, I did fail to bring dash vents to market. There were significant issues with trying to make them using thermosetting plastics, largely due to the thin profiles. I couldn't justify trying to do an injection molded thermoplastic setup.

Also for the record, I did offer to pay everyone back who funded development, but no one took me up on it. So I'm trying not to feel too bad about it.

Regarding parts that could use a making, in no particular order:
Window guides
Hatchback vent window latches

What's up Jon, get access to some injection molding equipment?
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 08:11:20 PM / 21-Oct-17 »
For the record, I did fail to bring dash vents to market. There were significant issues with trying to make them using thermosetting plastics, largely due to the thin profiles. I couldn't justify trying to do an injection molded thermoplastic setup.

Also for the record, I did offer to pay everyone back who funded development, but no one took me up on it. So I'm trying not to feel too bad about it.

Regarding parts that could use a making, in no particular order:
Window guides
Hatchback vent window latches

What's up Jon, get access to some injection molding equipment?

No, but I'm willing to throw some money down if it's there. Smaller heaters are available, and I've been throwing some at machining over the past few, so I think I could turn out some parts if need be. A big component is out of the question for injection, particularly for a side gig. I haven't done any math yet - just getting feelers.

I worked at an injection plant some time ago. Lousy work with no pay, probably soon to be totally automated. One of the most beautiful machine shops I've ever seen was there - cleanest one that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make a flywheel for the fj20. The Billit will fit in my lathe, and the ring gear can be bought separate. Didn't get balance cost yet, but the machine shop said they'd do it. Owner wasn't there Friday when I picked up some stuff. I'm pretty sure FJ20, non sfi flywheels have no market. I'm not paying $600 and shipping to get a lighter one though.

I'm not looking for investors what so ever. I'm just looking for a small hole in a market to offset some of my stupid spending on equipment.