Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head Gasket Leak? Video and Test Results  (Read 4026 times)

Offline darquizard

• n00b
Head Gasket Leak? Video and Test Results
« on: 01:27:00 PM / 04-May-18 »
I bought a 1987 VG30E S12 SE from Craigslist, I did a radiator cap leakdown test using the MightyVac before I bought the car, set it to 13psi and left it alone for 10 minutes, there was zero leak to speak of.

Then I wanted to get an exhaust sound video for the car after i removed the terrible awful broken muffler steel-wire install, so I made a quick video, https://youtu.be/6R54DrH46OA - it looks like there is some definite white smoke coming from the exhaust.

I hooked up the leakdown test again, and it still tests perfectly, no leaks to speak of. I've also ran the car for 1-2 hours and the temperature gauge seems to work just fine, it goes from cold to hot at a steady slow pace until it reaches the middle of the gauge and them stops there, appears to be cooling just fine.

Is this just condensation? What am I missing?

Sorry if this is not the right forum subsection, feel free to move it if so, I didn't see a cooling system section.

Facebook Share    

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
Re: Head Gasket Leak? Video and Test Results
« Reply #1 on: 01:46:31 PM / 04-May-18 »
Just sounds like the rings might need to be replaced if this was the original motor or the timing is too advanced and / or running too rich.

From the video it also sounds the exhaust manifold gasket might be blown (a common problem with the sev6 vg30's)  and / or broken exhaust stud (another common problem) but nothing to be worried about just an annouying sound.

these vg30's are tough motors, you should be fine if you have any issues with the headgasket one way to really find out is using the one test with the radiator and see if the fluid goes from blue to green (currently forgot the name of that test)

Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline darquizard

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 02:22:07 PM / 04-May-18 »
So from the sounds of it, I can replace that gasket when I get a custom header made (long time from now) but for the time being, things should run okay for now though?

Oops, I did want to mention, if it's running rich, hopefully there is way to properly tune that without re-doing the timing belt setup, if not maybe it's just time for a timing belt job anyway.

I'm a little bit of a novice, I'll investigate and see whats up.
« Last Edit: 02:34:20 PM / 04-May-18 by darquizard »

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #3 on: 03:43:14 PM / 04-May-18 »
iirc there should be an adjusting screw on the IIAC valve (front left side of the intake) that you can adjust the stuff recommend check the FSM for more. I went Carb so I lost all of that EFI chasing fun.
Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 2000 BMW 5 Series
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #4 on: 11:25:18 AM / 06-May-18 »
I don't see any evidence of a head gasket issue in that video. Check compression on the cylinders, and test your coolant for combustion products. Those will indicate whether or not there's a leak into the cooling system.

If the car is running rich, make sure the O2 sensor is working properly, since the fuel-air mixture is electronically controlled. If the O2 sensor is good and it's still rich, you have a fuel system issue- most likely a leaky injector, but potentially other issues such as a failed fuel pressure regulator. The IAC valve adjustment is only used to change the base idle speed.

All of the appropriate diagnostic and adjustment procedures are detailed in the factory service manual. Give it a read and go about your diagnosis programmatically.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?