Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, ain't that a downer...  (Read 198 times)

Offline Does it moo?

• Hell yeah it does!
  • n00b
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan S12
  • T H I C C
Well, ain't that a downer...
« on: 10:31:17 PM / 31-Jul-18 »
I'm guessing many of you have prolly seen pics of this ravishing JDM 200SX coupe:

This particular car convinced me that the S12 is cool on its own merits, that it isn't just a bloated AE86 or a lesser S13, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. I recently watched some of Noriyaro's videos that I had missed, and then he showed this...

(Source)

The video was posted in May last year. Dunno what condition it's in now, but it went from being one of the most ballin' S12 out there to look worse than mine in only a few years. It's sad to see such a well-kept specimen with that much loving work put into it being neglected.

I don't know if this has been posted here before since I've been awol for three or four years (death in the family, engine blew up, crippling depression, unhealthy ways of coping, etc...when it rains it pours, huh...). On a lighter note, here's another picture of a Suzuki Alto next to said 200SX and a hatchback:

I used to own a Suzuki Alto (not a Works as in the pic though, just the regular FWD NA version with a blistering 45 hp) but sold it to buy the Silvia. Bit of a weird coincidence since neither of the two are very common, not where I live anyway.

Facebook Share    

This whole box is PEPE SILVIA!

Online SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: Well, ain't that a downer...
« Reply #1 on: 11:24:16 AM / 02-Aug-18 »
This is the sad truth of the Japanese Shaken. Eventually it gets too expensive to keep the car on the road, and it's not even worth selling because demand is nonexistent thanks to that cost. So the cars get left in fields, to rot under the cedar pollen for all time.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline Does it moo?

• Hell yeah it does!
  • n00b
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan S12
  • T H I C C
« Reply #2 on: 11:54:19 PM / 07-Aug-18 »
Yeah, makes you wonder how many rare cars are just shoved away and left sitting over there... How much is the Shaken for non-new cars anyway? I remember hearing $2000-ish and that it lasts for two years? It would suck to be a car person there... But It's good for us, I guess, since grey-import JDM cars are dirt cheap compared to used European or Japanese EUDM cars of similar or even lesser specs, and a lot more mileage.

Japan is a weird place, the people are pretty secluded from the rest of the world and seem content with it. How many Japanese people are actually aware that their junk cars, which effectively only has sentimental value there, may start bidding wars among foreigners?

That 200SX is a very serious build and had it been auctioned for export while in a presentable state it surely would've made a decent profit. Although the S12 isn't the S-chassis people "want", it still has this weird inherit street cred that the S13/14 need to work a lot harder for. Also, not everyone looking for imports want the "cliché" cars (like the Skyline GT-R, AE86, S15, etc). Where I live we have lots of JDM imports and on top of my head, the less obvious include a Mitsu Evo IX estate, Nissan Stagea RS-Four V, Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 (yeah, people fucking love wagons here), Toyota Mark II (or Chaser, can't tell them apart), a four-door Impreza STI Ver 4 Type-RA (that I almost bought), a Nissan Cefiro A31 and so, so many Skyline GTS-T. And that's just my tiny corner of the world, so there's gotta be an international market for pretty much all performance oriented JDM cars.

But on the other hand, perhaps he was just too fond of it to sell it and hoped to save up to get it street legal. What ever the case, it's a bummer.
This whole box is PEPE SILVIA!

Online SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #3 on: 12:47:56 PM / 08-Aug-18 »
Japanese enthusiasts are very much aware of what their cars are worth overseas- importers are constantly on the lookout for in-demand cars and making offers on the ones they find. Issue is, the biggest market with the most demand and the most money to burn on that demand, prohibits imports until a vehicle is at least 25 years old. And by the time that 25 year mark comes to pass, only certain cars are worth anything. Five years ago, R32s, even GT-Rs, were worth a relative pittance, because every viable market was saturated. Canada had had the cars for 10 years already, and the rest of the world was over 20 years into R32 ownership. Then 2014 rolled around and the first R32s became legal, and prices have skyrocketed since, with cars that would have been worth $5k, selling for $20k now, before ever seeing a shipping crate.

R33s are legal now, 34s and S15s are coming soon, not to mention spiking demand for various mid-90s kei cars. Those cars are starting bidding wars, and owners are starting to clean up their semi-abandoned examples for sale. S12s, though, those were sold here, and they've never been worth much. The ones that are left are doomed to rot in fields, yards, sheds, and co-ops around the Japanese countryside.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #4 on: 02:39:05 AM / 12-Aug-18 »
I have seen a few S12 on Yahoo Auction Japan and they were asking quite a few $$$$$.  I wouldn't be surprised with all those natural disasters happening in Japan the past few years this particular S12 ( and the  car sitting beside it) felt victim to the fury of mother nature and became insurance right-offs.
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Online JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: 11:34:37 AM / 12-Aug-18 »
There's probably Japanese guys, googling crunchy Camaros rotting away in the states, and saying the same things.