Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mk2 Front Lip Intallation  (Read 557 times)

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Mk2 Front Lip Intallation
« on: 10:52:25 AM / 20-Oct-20 »
I've had a Mk2 front lip taking up residence in my garage for nearly a year, so it must be time to start thinking about installing it on my Mk1 notch. First, it will need a good scrub before I shoot it with satin black spray paint. It does have a couple of small waves along the edge I think I can straighten out with a judicious application from my heat gun. Anyone had success doing the same?

Much of the hardware that came with the lip is a rusted and useless crumble but there was one long metal bar I've managed to clean up and repaint. I've had a quick fitting to see how it should attach and line up and I think it will look pretty good. My main concern is the dreaded 'sag' in the center. Does anyone have any pictures to share of a proper installation from the underside? Any pics of creative hardware used to keep it from sagging?
« Last Edit: 10:53:42 AM / 20-Oct-20 by weitrhino »

Facebook Share    

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
Re: Mk2 Front Lip Intallation
« Reply #1 on: 02:22:36 PM / 20-Oct-20 »
You should be able to straighten the lip with the heat gun.  I had a bad twisted due to it sitting on the ground too long at the wrecker yard and that's how I fixed it.  I sat it on a piece of plywood and clamped it down with 1x2s then heated it Gentilly.   I thought there are two L-shape metal brackets , one on the left and one on the right?  I was going to use fiberglass to reinforce the lip from behind but I never got that far.
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #2 on: 06:44:48 PM / 20-Oct-20 »
I have one of those twisted L shaped side brackets in pretty good shape, the other less so but is probably usable. Good to hear confirmation that a heat gun will allow for straightening the wavy edge. Still, I'm going to have to fabricate something to force the lip to maintain its shape and stay put once subjected to wind. Still pondering all that.

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #3 on: 02:34:05 PM / 22-Oct-20 »
My two brackets are pretty well beaten up and I was going to make new ones from fiberglass but last night I thought maybe you could cap the back temporary and fill it with expandable foam as reinforcement?
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #4 on: 05:41:03 PM / 22-Oct-20 »
I'm thinking more about a lattice constructed from some light, flat steel attached to the bottom of the chassis.

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #5 on: 02:03:39 PM / 23-Oct-20 »
When the time comes I'm sure I'll think of something.

Offline SC S12

« Reply #6 on: 02:17:59 PM / 28-Oct-20 »
I'm thinking more about a lattice constructed from some light, flat steel attached to the bottom of the chassis.

This is what I did more or less.
Used thin gauge sheet aluminum and rivits to make a perimeter re-enforcement, and used 6 or 8 thick gauge spars for the front, larger washers and rivits.  I added lateral supports later not shown.
Later I will drill 3 holes in each spar, and rivit +3m VHB tape small angle aluminum L channels to the top side of the spars for extra rigidity.

I can pull myself out from under the car using my setup.

« Last Edit: 02:19:50 PM / 28-Oct-20 by SC S12 »
Beam me up Scotty,
There is no intelligent life down here

Follow the Link to New Fast http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=32213.0

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #7 on: 11:21:57 PM / 29-Oct-20 »
Thanks for that. This is similar to what I was thinking about doing.