Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 200sx SE V6 Endurance Race Car Build  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Max

• n00b
Re: 200sx SE V6 Endurance Race Car Build
« Reply #40 on: 09:51:22 AM / 07-Apr-21 »
UPDATE (cut/pasted from other forum)

From a few days ago:
Since it had a code 21 Ignition signal. Walked down the diag procedure in the FSM and had not found any issues. Performed all of the pin checks, and they all passed. Grabbed two PWR-2's from the junkyard and tried them both, no change. Bought a spare new coil, also no change. Started brainstorming if this could be caused by something not covered under code 21, and/or if I performed all of the diag steps correctly. Started getting really frustrated as the track day I want to do is getting closer, and I'm getting more and more behind on preparing for it...

Yesterday this happened:
Well, that one the threw me for a loop. I swapped around coils and transistors again trying to figure out what the heck I missed. Coil, transistor, wiring, ecu are all possible causes and I checked everything. Eventually after swapping transistors the car fired up. I messed with the coil/transistor area and it died. Ran the car and killed it by moving the coil harness like 50 times until I narrowed it down to the transistor. Sure enough, one pin in the transistor plug will pull out a few mm if you wiggle the harness!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #41 on: 10:58:12 AM / 07-Apr-21 »
Hot dog that sounds like it was a rollercoaster. Glad you got it licked.

And congrats on the new tow/family hauler!
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Max

• n00b
« Reply #42 on: 03:14:16 PM / 07-Apr-21 »
Thanks! This was the kind of problem that takes diligence and keeping a good attitude to fix, and to remember that electrical is not magic.  It really did start getting to me though. 

You must be on FB to see the new tow vehicle... I'll post pictures here, hopefully with the race car in tow in about a week.

Now begins the race to get the car ready for TRACK NIGHT next FRIDAY!

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #43 on: 10:05:47 AM / 10-Apr-21 »
You may have lost me at the "good attitude" part. That would have driven me insane to the point of rage.
« Last Edit: 10:06:14 AM / 10-Apr-21 by weitrhino »

Offline Max

• n00b
« Reply #44 on: 01:51:11 PM / 10-Apr-21 »
Hahaha it can certainly do that. But I would say that getting pissed only makes progress slower. I used to get so overwhelmed with electrical, but I try to ignore that feeling now and just make one step at a time.

Offline Max

• n00b
« Reply #45 on: 01:35:14 PM / 13-Apr-21 »
This weekend I wired on a new plug, and made a mount for my coil and transistor.  Whoever owned the car before me used 1 self tapping screw to mount the coil bracket, and then zip tied the PWR-2 to the coil bracket.. I have no doubt this contributed to my harness failure. Now the coil bracket is bolted on with 2 bolts, and the PWR-2 is held to that with two bolts.

Then I welded my home made heat shield to the y pipe to fix a horrendous heat shield rattle.  Put the car back together after tearing it apart for testing (ECU & bracket, Kill switch & bracket, etc). Replaced front sway bar bushings with prothane.  The old ones were so worn they almost worked their way out of the brackets. Replaced upper trans seal which was completely useless. Cut trans tunnel to fit z31 shifter... Just buttoning things up after the swap.

Took the car for a drive, and DIDN'T have to get towed home.  It's running pretty good so we'll see!

TRACK NIGHT @PIR THIS FRIDAY!