Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K24 into s12  (Read 656 times)

Offline Fire0wl

• Silent but deadly
  • n00b
  • #fire0wls12
K24 into s12
« on: 09:29:06 AM / 09-Dec-19 »
Hello fellow s12 owners. I have blown the ka24de that i swapped and ran for 5 years w over 200k on it.  So i have aquired a 2014 k24 with about 30k on it from my girlfriends crashed crv. I got an adapter plate for a cd009, i had a bunch of custom parts made. Its still not complete, but getting bery close to it. My goal was to keep costs at a minimum for this. Which means buying already made parts for astronomical amounts is not happening. K tunes kmoata and all those companies over charge for parts needed for this swap. The mounts i welded up some brackets and used one stock mount that is on the driver side. The passenger side i modified the carrier bearing holder for the axel to be the mount. I had to make a custom water conduit to run off a custom outlet for the back of the head. K tuned makes this piece for about 160, i had one custom made for $50. The oil filter location needed to be changed, i believe it is prl that mae the oil filter block off plate for like 160 also, i also had made for 50$ so i already saved about 200 just on having the parts custom made. For the adapter plate, i paid about 600, from inline pro. Now had i done better research i could have had a flywheel and adapter plate for this setup for only 100$ more. Anyway for the flywheel setup, i kep the flew plate, cut the ring gear off the torque converter and bolted it back om the flexplate, then i added a spacer so i can use another k series flywheel pplate, i had marc at falcon in bayshore ny make a clutch that fors the 220mm surface area and has the middle spline hub for a nissan. Custom disc cost me 175.  I  have a 350z droveshaft that needs to be shortened and the r200 diff flange put on it.  I have yet to do that. Im currently workin out the wiring and what im going to do there. I would like to use aem ems4, or a haltech 750, but those are very pricey. About 6-700 for the aem and almost double for the haltech. Im working on building my own harness from
The stick one, i got a pinout for the 2014 crv from my connections at a honda dealership. As far as i know i am the first to out the k24 in an s12, but im sire i will not be the last. I placed this info here in hopes to help someone else and or give an idea of which direction to go. For the intake manifold, i opted to keep the lower plenum and had a custom modified i take mani. I put a 78mm ls throttle body on it and i plan on using ktuned tps sensor
On it. Id rAther have mecchanical throttle than dbw type. I appologize for any typos cuz im posting from my phone and the words are microscopic. So bacl to the car,  I had to cut the skeleton from my hood to make sure the motor fit. I opted for a tsx power steering pump whoch sits right on top where other intake manis would require removal(delete) or relocated the ps pump to where the ac comp is. I dont want to dp that. I plan on adapting the ac to the s12 system like i did w the ka24de. I installed a 255 lph ebay fuel pump in the s12. I am working out the fuel system
Because it seems the rail on the k24 has only one inlet as opposed to the ka24de w the feed and return. I will periodically update this thread w new stuff regarding the s12 and this swap. This is the longest time my s12 has been down. Almost a whole year now on this project. Im trying to make sure im not one of those guys w the never ending project where the car never sees the road again. I plan on driving this car until i die. A honda motor will
Give it that reliability it needs and till more power stock than the ka24de. On top of that i will have the ability to upgrade the k24 with to s of aftermarket support. I love my s12, and i hope that you love yours too. I got to s of pictures but when i get a chance to get on a computer i can figure out how to post them.
To be continued.
« Last Edit: 11:00:40 AM / 10-Dec-19 by Fire0wl »

Facebook Share    

Offline kelso840

Re: K24 into s12
« Reply #1 on: 10:35:37 AM / 09-Dec-19 »
Love the idea and your attitude. I'm rooting for you.

We've been using Imgur to post photos since Photobucket went to a greed-based model.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Max

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 11:46:05 AM / 09-Dec-19 »
Totally awesome.  The size and weight of the K24 combined with more modern power numbers make this engine a great fit for the s12 chassis. There's also a lot of aftermarket support, and NA or turbo the power potential is huge.

Not a huge fan of brand swaps, and I have no good reason.  But this project looks great.  Keep us posted. Post pics.

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #3 on: 12:40:35 AM / 10-Dec-19 »
Just remove any badges or logos that associate the engine with Honda and replace with Nissan and Ka24de.
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline Fire0wl

• Silent but deadly
  • n00b
  • #fire0wls12
« Reply #4 on: 09:44:12 AM / 12-Feb-20 »
Ok so I modified the stock fuel rail by welding the inlet on and an outler and then welding up the misddle feed. I tested it, no leaks. Reinstalled and installed an fpr to regulate the fuel and on to the next issue. The alternator. It is wired up in the k24 as a ‘power on request’ system where it has one leas for power and one signal wire. It is grounded by the block. The s12 system has 2 wires and upon research, its is ‘power on demand’ that is, the power is always pumping. Where as the k24 only uses the ecu to control it. So my theory as a work around would be to attach the two wires from the old alt, and ground the alt to the battery. That would keep the alt ‘on’ while the engine is running and since its tied into the s12 charging system, it should run independently from the honda ecu.  The ac will also be independant, like i had w the ka24de. It was on a switch. This leads me into yet another dilema. The idle air control.  Since the k24 comes stock with dbw, the throlle plate regulates the idle air control, thus there is no valve. So my theoritcal work around to that, would be to add an iac valve, 2 wire simple design and have signal wires from the accessories that require idle up, like e fan, rear defog, etc and have it open when these devices are activated via relay.  I have  een logging all my ideas in a notebook which will pretty much be the user manual.  I have bunches of self made wire schematics for all my accessories from guages to usb chargers, fog lights, power inverter radio ac etc... everything on this damn engine is backwards to that of the ka24de. The coolant flows upwards and exits out the head back to the upper rad hose. I added 9mm spacers from the same stainless brackets i used for the mounts, as spacers for the front crossmember. It was the perfect amount. It lowere the engine height by like an inch and a half. How that works? Idfk but it worked well. The hood closes nice. As i mentioned before i had to cut the skeleton out of it to make it fit. I just forgot to mention the spacers in the last post. The exhaust is just one pipe cuz the k24 i have has the headerfold which is an intergrated exhaust mani header that feeds into one 3’x1.5 oval outlet. The downpipe is the cat, i cut it off and welded a 2.5” round pipe w a flange. I made an elbow so it runs right off where the stock s12 engine mount would be on pass side thus leaving me w the need to cross over back to the stock side to meet w the old exhaust system(which will be 2.5 all the way thru) ill need to wrap the exhaust where it crosses over cuz it will prob be right under the shifter location of the transmissin right under the driveshaft. The starter wiring will be independent from the k24 ecu as well. It will be tied into the s12 system or maybe ill put a push button starter gizmo thingy. The linkage for the 350z trans needs to be shortened, and a im going to weld up a new bracket cuz the old one would put the shifter too close to the middle console. The rad fan is on its own circuit and temp sensor from older nissan(2 wire) also has a bypass switch i put in the cabin for the previous swap(ka24de) they bo activate a relay that feeds power to the fan.  There is going to be a lot of systems deleted from the k24 ecu’s control. I wonder if the engine would try to go into limp mode, but w all the mechanical bypasses, would it make a dofference? I may just have to go w aftermarket ecu... but first i wanted to try to ‘hack the system’. I also have to bypass the immobilizer.  The ecu pinout doesn’t identify the immobilizer circuit or any connections to it. I cant think of anything else right now so again apologies for typos but these words are so damn tiny on the phone.