Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Passenger Window Won't Go Up  (Read 1234 times)

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
Passenger Window Won't Go Up
« on: 10:35:02 AM / 21-May-20 »
Good Morning
I am lucky enough to park my 85 hatch in a garage overnight and leave my windows 1/2 way open to breath. This morning, the passenger window would not go back up with either driver or passenger switch. Goes down the rest of the way fine. For the past couple years the driver side window switch has been intermittent but still working. Your trouble-shooting advise appreciated so I don't needlessly tear everything apart!
Red

Facebook Share    

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
Re: Passenger Window Won't Go Up
« Reply #1 on: 02:09:17 PM / 21-May-20 »
If the window will go down then it's the switch.  I'll pull the switch out, take it apart and clean the contacts/metal taps.  I fixed a 96 Camry with the same problem.  On the Camry the passenger switch is the master meaning if that switch fails then the driver side will not work either. 
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #2 on: 03:37:53 PM / 21-May-20 »
Does your car have a window lock button? I forget how those work, but it's the only thing I can think of that would partially immobilize a window.

It's super weird that it doesn't respond to either "up" switch but still goes down. Do both "down" switches work?
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: 04:46:50 PM / 21-May-20 »
Yes, it has the window lock switch; I cycled that several times, no change. Yes, both driver & passenger switches activate down.
Thanks for the replies - something to play with on a 3 day weekend!

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: 03:48:39 PM / 23-May-20 »
Took driver's side switch apart and used fine emery paper on all contacts and DeOxit spray. Both windows work again. Also see a 93 Pathfinder switch will work and can still buy new ($75+), just need to remove some rear door buttons to fit the S12 trim. I'll bet you could also remove the top of the S12 switch and snap it on the guts of the Pathfinder switch to keep buttons stock.