Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3d printed coolant overflow tank/making my own parts  (Read 1407 times)

Offline CapnChamp

• n00b
3d printed coolant overflow tank/making my own parts
« on: 11:42:59 PM / 26-Apr-21 »
Hello there. I recently bought an 85 200sx turbo, and joined this forum to help find advice, knowledge and just to see what it was like to be apart of a community such as this, but that's not why I'm posting. I'm sure I'll post a full intro of myself, and my car after this. But anyways, I've been looking around and diving into the different threads here, and everywhere else for info about parts for these cars, particularly aftermarket. That's when I noticed that not many people (basically anyone at all), makes parts for these cars. I was a little surprised, but so much so since our community is extremely niche. So, I decided I would try to dedicate myself to find those who make parts, and if none could be found I would make them on my own. And now I am here. but anyways, I'll get to the point. The means to create and fabricate your own parts is so extremely accessible, just needs a little time and work put in. So not too long ago i got a 3d printer so that i could make prints for things that I may need, and to see what sort of possibility I could open up for these cars. I spent the entire day today learning fusion 360 and making a model for replacing the coolant overflow tank, and I have to say I think it is pretty spot on. I'm going to print one tonight and put it to the test tomorrow. I can send a link to whoever wants it, and if anyone has advice, or any ideas let me know. I'm very new to all of this, including being here. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Couldn't tell if I should or could post this anywhere else. and uh, I guess this is my first post. will post more for sure.

Facebook Share    

Offline iceageg

Re: 3d printed coolant overflow tank/making my own parts
« Reply #1 on: 09:39:49 AM / 27-Apr-21 »
Welcome to the forum!  Most of the daily traffic is on the Facebook page these days but the bulk of the community knowledge is consolidated here on the forum.  If you can't find the answer here the question has probably never been asked.  As for aftermarket support you are correct in your assessment.  It almost doesn't exist.  Be ready to make/modify/rebuild anything you need for an S12.  For most of us here that is part of the attraction but it can be daunting, particularly if you have limited experience and resources for doing custom fab.  Learn by doing it can be the best way though.

As for 3D printing, if you are new to it make sure you do some research on the materials available.  There are currently 80+ filament types on the market.  In the last 1-2 years there have been some new ones introduced that have MUCH better thermal properties for environments like an engine bay than the traditional ABS/PVC/PETG filaments that grew the 3D printing market into the booming industry that it now is.  Lots of info out there these days and the results can be awesome.

Look forward to seeing your posts and updates.  Again, welcome to the forum and our niche corner of the S chassis community.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #2 on: 02:18:51 PM / 27-Apr-21 »
welcome and I hope you'll stick around.  There were very little after market parts available when these car first came out some after 35+ years ago, now even oem replacement parts are getting harder to find. 
« Last Edit: 02:01:22 PM / 28-Apr-21 by BOSSMAN »
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #3 on: 03:14:07 PM / 27-Apr-21 »
Mind sharing the .stl file? Or a link to download the fusion files? I'd like to see the model.

Also, god bless Fusion 360. Such a cool program to have for free.

Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline CapnChamp

• n00b
« Reply #4 on: 05:17:04 PM / 27-Apr-21 »
Thanks for the warm reception. but I plan on sticking around for as long as I can. can't help but to want to at least try and make something for this community. but yeah, I'm printing a smaller version so I could print it with the printer I have, and to test fit it into it's OEM spot, as well as to see if the cap will fit and screw on. but yeah I'll definitely send a file of the normal one and the mini. and uh...how  would I do that? ha ha, make a link? I could post it to thingiverse or something but it still needs a lot of refinement. I didn't put a coolant inlet on the bottom of the tank because I just thought I'd buy a inlet fitting, drill and tap it in instead of struggling with designing one at this current stage. cuz I just need to get it hooked up and ready to roll since I still have to worry about all the other hundreds of things that are wrong with my car lol.

Offline CapnChamp

• n00b
« Reply #5 on: 10:13:46 PM / 02-May-21 »
Mind sharing the .stl file? Or a link to download the fusion files? I'd like to see the model.

Also, god bless Fusion 360. Such a cool program to have for free.

sure, where and how can i do that? not to mention i don't know how to reply to where you guys will see it lol

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #6 on: 04:13:29 PM / 03-May-21 »
This site doesn't have a lot of bells n whistles for file sharing or image posting, so unless you establish a way to share directly with someone then it's best to host your files on a cloud platform, like Dropbox or the like. For images, you'll need to host them somewhere like Imgur and then link to them. Like most forums, people used to host images at photobucket until they pull the plug on linking and ruined forums everywhere.