Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA18DE/DET forged rods/pistons  (Read 2006 times)

Offline ahoffman83

CA18DE/DET forged rods/pistons
« on: 11:25:52 PM / 17-Jul-04 »
Anybody know where I can find a good price on some forged rods and pistons for a CA18DET/DE? I\'ve searched around on search engines and haven\'t found much of anything.

Facebook Share    

Alan
Former 1987 MK2 CA20E hatch and 1985 Turbo hatch owner. Still an S12 enthusiast and hope to buy another sometime in the future.

Offline 88turbo

• http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/647026
« Reply #1 on: 11:40:52 PM / 17-Jul-04 »
I bought a complete set of bottom end internals for a ca18det for 400$ I could give you a phone number in montreal that could get you something similar. Last time I talked to them all they had was a couple complete motor and one motor/tranny set without a head, intake or exhasut manifolds. If you are interested pm me or reply, but it\'\'ll probably be a week for my reply, sorry, be patient.
t25 @ 8/ 13psi

Offline Alex Frost

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/05alex
« Reply #2 on: 12:06:35 AM / 18-Jul-04 »
Rods are easy to find...just go to a scrapper, and look for the CA16DE...same rods. 8)
The Nissan S12 Silvia...built while Nissan was still smokin' the green stuff
Cars...
2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
1988 Toyota Supra Turbo->->NOT SO Turbo
1987 S12 hatch...KAZU is BACK!!! and she still runs!!!
1986 S12 hatch...GONE!
1980 Toyota Celica "Sunchaser" w/ 20R Sold
Team Frost; there's nothing faster than cats on grass!

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #3 on: 12:36:26 AM / 18-Jul-04 »
Well my current plans are to aquire a CA18DE engine from the wreckers. I want to use the rods and main bearing girdle. I also will be looking at wheter or not the crank will work. Anybody know if the pistons would work too? I know the CA18DE runs a fairly high compression but is that mostly in the head or in the piston design? Are the CA18DE pistons the exact same as the DET pistons?
Alan
Former 1987 MK2 CA20E hatch and 1985 Turbo hatch owner. Still an S12 enthusiast and hope to buy another sometime in the future.

Offline 88turbo

• http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/647026
« Reply #4 on: 12:41:51 AM / 18-Jul-04 »
Can I tell you for sure ...no, but you could calculate it, I have my block apart right now, but your not looking at det pistons, your looking for de pistons... I would say that de pistons probably would have a 9.5 or 10 to 1 comp. ratio, and I would think head design would be a relatively small factor. Being the way that nissans are. Find out some part numbers from nissan and see if they match or not? Might help.
t25 @ 8/ 13psi

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #5 on: 04:21:15 PM / 26-Jul-04 »
Well guys i contacted the guy who made this website [url]http://sws.mnstate.edu/majorsmc/engines.htm[/a] and asked him about using the DE rods in the ET. He told me that the CA18ET pistons will need machined to accept the circlips for the full floating pins of the DE. Pretty much what i expected there. However he also said that the DE rods will not fit on the ET crank without some machine work being done. I\'m not sure what he meant by this because from what i have found the DE uses the same rod bearings as the ET. I don\'t know too much about engine bottom ends but can someone elaborate on the possibilities as to why this doesn\'t work? He also said that the DE crank does fit though and that it would be better to use that than to have to machine the ET crank or DE rods to fit. I had always thought the DE rods would fit the ET crank no problem any ideas as to what the difference might be?
Alan

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #6 on: 04:56:16 PM / 26-Jul-04 »
Ok   So i just compared the specs for the CA18ET rod with those of the CA18DET rod which should be the exact same as the DE rod. I looked at the specs of the stock rod in my FSM and then found an FSM online for the DET engine here [url]http://datnet.org/new/techinfo/[/a]  I found that all the specs are the same except for the small end of the rod where the piston attaches due to the differences in wrist pins. Bottom end of the rods are the same. So if this is true shouldn\'t the DE/DET rods fit on our cranks also?
Alan

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #7 on: 05:49:09 PM / 26-Jul-04 »
Magnum I know about the parts there and thanks for the link but I want someone to tell me why the CA18DE rods won\'t work on our factory crank? Any ideas?
Alan

Offline Mr.200

• S12 Guru
    • http://www.angelfire.com/freak/brutesquad/index.html
« Reply #8 on: 10:24:07 AM / 27-Jul-04 »
if the bottom ends are the same size, (crank end) I can\'t see why they wouldn\'t. Unless it\'s a balance thing?
1987 200sx CA18ETi - The Toad
1972 Dodge Charger 413ci/6.6L - The Bully

Matt
http://www.angelfire.com/freak/brutesquad/index.html

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #9 on: 01:59:11 AM / 28-Jul-04 »
Ok so this McAdam guy got back to me after I requested a more detailed description as to why the CA18DE rods won\'t work on the stock ET crank.

He said \"its hard to explain, the angle of the fillet where the rod bearing surface transitions for the arm of the crankshaft isnt right, if you bolt a DE rod onto a ET crank, it will bind, you\'ll see what I mean.  It could probably be fixed with a dremel, but Id leave it to a machinist, lol\"

Anybody here make sense of that?
Alan

Offline Johnnyfive

• http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/533844
« Reply #10 on: 12:49:53 AM / 29-Jul-04 »
I know what he\'s talking about. When the rod bearing surface ends it\'s fillet (the portion which then goes to the rest of the crank) is too close or is not angled properly for the DE rod and bearings. It will lock the engine up.

Why would you want to put these rods on a stock ET crank? It would be pointless the DE and DET crank fit in the ET block and then you can get a lightweight flywheel for the thing.
2004 Dodge SRT-4:
Stage 1
K&N drop-in
mopar BOV
Quicktime performance cutout downpipe
psi-fi motormounts
$20 catch can

1986 200SX turbo* FO SALE!!!
For sale as parts

Offline ahoffman83

« Reply #11 on: 12:51:35 AM / 29-Jul-04 »
Well right now the plan is to use the DE crank also. I just am not sure if the DE flywheel will work with the stock starter. I would assume that it does since the DE and DET are so similiar and DET bottom end swaps are common in the UK.
Alan