DE on E block

Started by SHEPPO3930, 02:03:04 AM / 27-Jul-04

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEPPO3930

Ok, simple question needs a simple answer....

Will a CA18DE head bolt onto a CA20E block?

My mate has a twincam head sitting in his shed gathering dust..........he wants nicks for it and i want a twincam..........!

Catch yas
Sheppo..

S-12 (1985) Mica Silver/Silver, SR rims, IRS, 5spd, CA18DET conversion, Supra FMIC, pod, full 3inch mandral bend exhaust w/ Split dump pipe & no cat, Xtreme H/duty clutch, 175RWHP on 92RON & stock boost (stock ECU tuning) :)

Adv. Dip. Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
Royal Melbourne Instute of Technology (RMIT) 2004

200SXXEnotchbck86

I think it would bolt on, but thats not the biggest problem, you would also have to run the DE\'s computer and other electronics associated.  And the biggest obsticle is the fact that the Ca20 uses a belt and I believe the DE uses a Chain, so the pullies for such are different.  Its all possible if you have the money to do it.  I think the nose on the crank might be different, I know the sprockets  very different but do not know if you could just interchange them or not.  Actually, I think it can be done, as people have used the DE bottem end with the ET top end for use with the Turbo engine.  Its just the problem of, 1: getting the timing belt or chain, which ever is used, most lilkey the chain to fit right.  And the other is the manifolds are also different.  The DE head I don\'t think has a place for the Distributor as they used the coil pack setup, which means you will need the ECU and all the wiring and  compenents to make it work.

Jason Ruppert
94 Chevy Camaro V6 5spd Commuter
97 Dodge Caravan

"Time changes all, but not the minds of man. Intill hate, greed and indifference is gone. There will always be War and Poverty."-Quote from Me

Magnum

they are both belt driven. The problem is if you were to put a DE head on a E you could use the belt pullies and tensioner from the DE but with the 20E the block is taller so you would have to figure out the proper length for the belt and have one made or find another engine that has the same size. If you don\'t get the correct length then your cam timming will be off and it will run like shit or not at all.
Dan

If you want your car to be cheap and fast it wont be reliable...
If you want your car to be reliable and cheap it wont be fast...
If you want your car to be fast and reliable it wont be cheap...

200SXXEnotchbck86

Ok, I thought there was some issue with the belt.  Forgot the the ca20 block is taller.

Jason Ruppert
94 Chevy Camaro V6 5spd Commuter
97 Dodge Caravan

"Time changes all, but not the minds of man. Intill hate, greed and indifference is gone. There will always be War and Poverty."-Quote from Me

one_equals_two

[url]http://www.club-s12.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5467[/a]

Euroboy

don\'t think the oil and cooling lines will line up
Well i got a \'87 200sx

bartc_j

but like i said how will you control ignition since there is no distributor
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

Joel07

I\'m going stand alone anyway, so it\'ll be DIS...

If that\'s the only problem I have, I\'ll be in good shape...   :rofl:

I\'m not too hopeful about getting it to work, but like I said, I\'ll get the head for free, so I probably won\'t have more than $30-50 in it if I get far enough in to need a tensioner and belt...

KaZ

Quotebut like i said how will you control ignition since there is no distributor

Why couldn\'t you just go with the DE ECU, Wiring Harness and CAS?  That will control itself...  to be on the safe side...  I guess you could go get a DET ECU & Harnesss...  use the CAS from the DE.  

Also, this would be easier on an ET block right...  rather than an E?  CA18ET would be fairly simple to move to a CA18DET with the head right?
KaZ

\'84 S12 CA18ETi Silvia
\'97 A32 VQ30DE Cefiro SE

Joel07

Yeah, it\'ll bolt right on a ca18 block, have to drill and tap an extra hole for the tensioner.  It\'ll also bolt right on a ca20e block according to the Pulsar guys, with the same drilling and tapping.  Needs a longer timing belt for the taller ca20 block.  Yeah you can use the DE electronics, but if you\'re going turbo, it would work a lot better with DET electronics.  By the time you do all that, most of the time it\'s easier and cheaper to go with a JDM ca18det...  :rofl:

But, if you\'re planning on going standalone anyway, it\'s a very viable option.