Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vg30et?  (Read 14303 times)

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« on: 01:54:56 AM / 12-Aug-04 »
So a buddy  has offered me a Z31 rolling chassis with a VG30ET, Tranny, ECU and everything running. Aside from that the car is a rolling chassis. Any complications in dropping this into my \'88 SE. since I removed the AC I think the turbo should just fit and everything should bolt up the same as the regular VG30E.

Facebook Share    

'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold
'02 Subaru RWD WRX -dead :(

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
Vg30et?
« Reply #1 on: 02:28:33 AM / 12-Aug-04 »
Won\'t work without major firewall bashing in with sledge do to the cross over pipe.  That\'s whats been discussed on here before anyway.

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline salps12

• http://www.chazelle.0catch.com
Vg30et?
« Reply #2 on: 05:59:39 AM / 12-Aug-04 »
A VG30ET S12... that would bevery nice!

If a VG30DETT fits, then a VG30ET should right?  :!:
[span style=\'color:RoyalBlue\']Gazelle: CA18DET[/span]
S15 T28BB - ARC intercooler - oil cooler w/ remote mount filter - Rb20 AFM - Boxed pod - Hyrbid EBC - HSV 300kw Fuel pump - Xtreme HD Clutch - DBA Slotted Discs w/ f:RB74  r:Comp2 pads - JIC Front coilovers & Rear kyb shocks and kingsprings

[span style=\'color:DeepSkyBlue\']POWER:[/span] unknown (approx 140rwkw)

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« Reply #3 on: 09:36:13 AM / 12-Aug-04 »
Can anyone else confirm the firewall bashing?
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold

Offline henge

Vg30et?
« Reply #4 on: 11:22:54 AM / 12-Aug-04 »
i\'ll be honest.. from some pics i\'ve seen, it looks like there might just be enough room to squeeze the crossover pipe in without having to bash in the firewall.. BUT then the cross over would be right on top of wiring and all sorts of possibly meltable stuff.. maybe try moving the engine forward a little bit?? but then that would also throw off the balance of the car

i guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it.. i remember last year there was a guy who claimed to have put a VG30ET into his S12, but when we asked for pictures he disappeared and hasnt been heard from since..

oh.. i was just thinking.. one way to get away from the crossover pipe is to just make it a vg30eTT,.. just find a way to close off the opening for the crossover pipe on the drivers side exhaust manifold,.. and then get a custom manifold made for the passenger side.. OR just get 2 custom exhaust manifolds made and bolt on 2 turbos!

Offline Spooled

Vg30et?
« Reply #5 on: 01:10:27 PM / 12-Aug-04 »
Yes, it would be a difficult fit, not to mention that the steering shaft might be in the way of the turbo as well.  However, all it would take is some custom exhaust.  My friend with a VG30ET in his Datsun 510 made his own manifolds that have the exhaust come forward and the turbo is placed kinda where our battery would be in the engine compartment.  His crossover pipe actually comes down under the crank pulley and over to the turbo.  Like I said, a little creative exhaust plumbing, and it would work fairly easily.
"Have you ever been face down in the mud, and been kicked in the head, with an iron boot?  Of course you haven't, no one has.  It's a stupid question; forget I even asked" 

87 200SX SE-V6
90 300ZX Twin Turbo
93 Pathfinder SE
06 Mini Cooper S JCW

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« Reply #6 on: 12:19:59 AM / 15-Aug-04 »
Ok, well as soon as I gather the cash to purchase the car from my friend I\'m doing this swap. I\'ll try to do a write up and keep a record of whats needed and stuff. This will prolly take a few months to get everything at the rate I\'m gathering money right now. :(

but it will all be worth it :)
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold

Offline NJ240sxMan

• Sub-n00b
Vg30et?
« Reply #7 on: 10:35:57 PM / 17-Aug-04 »
\"Firewall is optional\"

Offline Drifter

• n00b
Vg30et?
« Reply #8 on: 11:35:26 AM / 31-Aug-04 »
I own a Z31 AND an S12, and putting a VG30ET into the S12 won\'t work without custom work. First of all, the differences between the NA Z31 and Turbo Z31 are big in themselves, LET ALONE the differences between the Z31 and the S12. The Turbo Z31 has a different crossmember than the NA Z31. The turbo lies right where the engine mount should be so what nissan did was place the engine mount and engine bracket forward, in front of the turbo, believe me, its ****ed up. On top of that there are different turbo engines. 84-87 had the 7.8:1 CR engine with T3 turbo, while 88-89 had the 8.3:1 CR engine with T25 turbo. Both compression ratios in my opinion are low. The best thing to do is to turbo the NA 9.0:1 CR engine, and to do it with a custom top mount manifold. This is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to turbo your VG30E S12. Simple go to a shop, get them to make you a custom, top mount, T3 manifold, stick it in, IC, turbo, and bam, you\'re forced induced.

Offline Mechperformance

• Http://www.shiftva.com
Vg30et?
« Reply #9 on: 05:01:47 PM / 31-Aug-04 »
I own a Z31 AND an S12, and putting a VG30ET into the S12 won\'t work without custom work. First of all, the differences between the NA Z31 and Turbo Z31 are big in themselves, LET ALONE the differences between the Z31 and the S12. The Turbo Z31 has a different crossmember than the NA Z31. The turbo lies right where the engine mount should be so what nissan did was place the engine mount and engine bracket forward, in front of the turbo, believe me, its ****ed up. On top of that there are different turbo engines. 84-87 had the 7.8:1 CR engine with T3 turbo, while 88-89 had the 8.3:1 CR engine with T25 turbo. Both compression ratios in my opinion are low. The best thing to do is to turbo the NA 9.0:1 CR engine, and to do it with a custom top mount manifold. This is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to turbo your VG30E S12. Simple go to a shop, get them to make you a custom, top mount, T3 manifold, stick it in, IC, turbo, and bam, you\'re forced induced.

Well not quite that simple there skipper but your on the right track.....I have a VG33ET in my 87 S12......I used the Z31 crossmember, The turbo fittment is an issue but not a hard to fix issue.....Once youve got the Z31 turbo crossmember in it is a basic bolt in project, but IMO Drifter is right....The high compression engine will make a lot more useable power and be a lot more efficieant.....(Hence why I went to a VG33ER block) But be carefull, High compression and high boost dont mix......9.0:1 = stock block holding 8Psi max......Untill you build the bottom end......

Good luck......

Edit: 8 PSI max was assuming you would use a T25......
Work in progress......I bet my S12 is faster than yours......HEHE....

yeah man, forced induction drinkin is the way, i built a killer beer bong, HUGE funnel feeding a T28BB turbo, blowing into a custom mandral bent plastic hose then into the mouth of the drinker..........she pulls 2BAR beer pressure, runs a surge keg to make sure the funnel is never empty, and makes 600hoseHP..........................:-)

I love this guy!!!!!!! LMAO

Offline vg30e_x2_200sx

• http://0
Vg30et?
« Reply #10 on: 05:33:33 PM / 31-Aug-04 »
Ok. Now I really want some detailed pics of your ride Mech.

You have gotten me starting to drool just a bit here.

Randy

San Jose, California U.S.A.

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« Reply #11 on: 06:04:10 PM / 01-Sep-04 »
Well i\'m getting the entire z31 so if I have to use the front crossmember its not a problem. Thanks for the heads up. Does the s12 tranny bolt up to the vg30et or will i have to use the z31 tranny and if I do do I have to shorten the driveshaft?
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold

Offline henge

Vg30et?
« Reply #12 on: 07:29:23 PM / 01-Sep-04 »
i dont see why the tranny wouldnt work.. since the vg30e and vg30et both use the same block, the question i would be asking is how much power can the SE tranny handle

Offline mc

Vg30et?
« Reply #13 on: 07:19:51 AM / 02-Sep-04 »
....how much does the z31 turbo cross member need to be shortened to fit in the s12?or is it bolt right in??i might not sell this car after all.

Offline Blinocac200sx

• http://www.davidscar.com
Vg30et?
« Reply #14 on: 09:30:44 PM / 05-Sep-04 »
The funny thing about the Turbo vs NA Z31 cross member, is that it\'s actually just upside down. You can use an NA cross member and just turn it over. My buddy who has built a sub 11 second Turbo Z discovered this one day.
David L. Heald Jr.

Visit www.projectNA200.org

Offline japish

• n00b
Vg30et?
« Reply #15 on: 01:52:22 AM / 08-Sep-04 »
thats not all true about the cross member. the 87-89 z31 had the same cross member as the turbo. i\'ve done a n/a to turbo swap on my 300 and it worked great. i\'m gunna get started on my s12 ca18et to vg30et swap in a couple months i\'ll post pics and problem i run into for any one else who wants info.

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« Reply #16 on: 11:43:51 PM / 20-Sep-04 »
UPDATE!!!

I just got my 86 z31 turbo doner car. I can\'t wait to start rippin this thing out and get workin on it.
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold

Offline Spyderman

• n00b
    • http://www.turboforum.net
Vg30et?
« Reply #17 on: 07:01:14 PM / 22-Sep-04 »
UPDATE!!!

I just got my 86 z31 turbo doner car. I can\'t wait to start rippin this thing out and get workin on it.

Hell yea dude!
I\'m very interested in NA-T on my 200SX. Good luck i wanna do this sometime next year after my galant is running mid-high 12\'s w/ big16G.
[span style=\'color:DarkRed\']91 Nissan 240SX SR20DET TEC2 FMIC *SOLD*[/span]
87 Nissan 200SX SE VG30E KA24DE TB Custom CAI 2.5\" Catback Exhaust
[span style=\'color:SeaGreen\']91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 AWD 4WS 4G63T #130/2000 K&N E-Cutout 18psi[/span]

Offline Richter888

Vg30et?
« Reply #18 on: 03:21:02 PM / 06-Jul-07 »
First let me say if possible, get a whole 300zx turbo car,87-89(i got mine cheap cuz it was rust bucket, idiot didn't wanna replace the throwout bearing, Idiot, Idiot, sold for $250 bucks!) Many parts have definately gotta swap from 300 to 200! OK. I'll make a list as best as i can remember, Steering rack(if you look the 300's rack lays down to clear the turbo downpipe, you'll see), Put the 200's oil pan and pickup on the turbo motor(don't forget to get new end seals), You'll have to have a new steering knuckle made beacause the length of the 200's is not long enough with the 300's rack(cost me $30).
OK DON"T SCREW THIS PART UP OR YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF FOREVER!!!!! Now, my engine is out of a 87 300zx turbo. It has a oil cooled turbo. YOU MUST DRILL A HOLE IN THE OIL PAN FOR THE DRAIN BACK TUBE!!! Don't get too close to any curves or it WILL CRACK!! You only get one shot.(think of how hard it will be to find an oil pan for you se v6)

I had to have a mount made for the car. You will have to swap the bracked from the 200's passenger side onto the turbo motor. I have this new mount sitting directly on the frame. Spacers may be required on passenger mount. We ended up having to slot the hole on the mounts and the mounting brackets because i screwed up my measurements. Don't forget the entire ENGINE HARNESS. You will have to integrate the body harness to this, make sure you keep all the wires to your 200's altenator, for you will need them to integrate the motor.
You will have to beat your firewall in to make clearance for the exhause crossover pipe. Later if your smart(i personally think the 200's tranny looks and feels cheesy likes the first time i sidestep the clutch with the turbo motor it will explode! but the gearing may be so radical, the car may be funner? you choice if you wan't stubs for legs unless you buy a kevlar jacket for the tranny), You'll try to use the tranny out of the turbo 300(manual). You will probally have to cut part of your tranny tunnel out to make it fit. Hopefully if you did everything right, you'll be able to use the 200's manual tranny mounts, and mounting bracket(dog bone) in the stock positions(no gaurantee that this will work since i haven't got mine in yet)  Oh ya and you'll have to reroute the brakelines, and cluth line farther up the firewall.
I think i tagged everything i've done so far, if ya got any questions just message me or hit my e-mail at Richter888@hotmail.com

Oh ya i almost forgot, my car is a 1988 s12 se v6, so i don't know if this is all the same for the four cylinder people,  you guys may have to find yourselves a cradle out of a 200 v6.
If it is stupid, but works.....It isn't stupid!!!!
1994 Cavalier(first car) toaster by now *DEAD*
1987 300zx turbo car was donor to my 1988 200sx *DEAD*
1988 200sx SE Manual with vg30et(future uncertain)
1988 Thunderbird turbocoupe caught fire *RIP*
1989 mustang 2.3 turbo conversion *SOLD*
2001 Cobra Mustang aka the white beast(to my friends)new top speed of 160mph!
1984 300zx turbo manual resto project great car!
1993 mustang trunkback 2.3 auto, fixing to sell, good car*SOLD*

Too many cars you think?  This will quadruple by the time I'm thirty!

Offline JasterM5

Vg30et?
« Reply #19 on: 12:20:36 PM / 16-Feb-08 »
Thanks, I completed the swap in May of 05. There are lots of issues with the swap and wouldnt reccomend it myself. If you are deadset on installing a an original VG30ET heres what I would recomend.

1) start with a VG project.
2) pull out the VG30ET and reconficuger the engine's mounts, alternator and PSpump to match original.
3) Get custom headers and custom headers made to relocate the turbo somewhere else from factory location.
4) Use original s12 VG trans
5) You will need to swap the oilpans and use the original s12. And tap the pan for an oil return line.

The wiring isint too dificult. It took me a week. and surprisingly started on the first try.

Anyways that's all I can remember for now. I've actually since sold the car and regretted it. I moved onto a '02 Subaru WRX which I then converted to RWD now that I just got into an accident with that I'm looking to make an s12 comeback because I love these things too much. I really wish I knew why though.
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold