Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Z32 Lsd?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Mechperformance

• Http://www.shiftva.com
Z32 Lsd?
« on: 08:11:20 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
I run an S15 HLSD in my S13 and was wondering if I could do the same as I did to it.......? I took an S15 HLSD and pulled the guts out of it.....I then proceeded to replace my stock Open dif with the HLSD, it worked and worked as easy as pie......Will this be an issue with my R180 Open dif on my S12?

I would like to swap the guts from an N/A Z32 into my dif.......

Please help......

-Jeff

Facebook Share    

Work in progress......I bet my S12 is faster than yours......HEHE....

yeah man, forced induction drinkin is the way, i built a killer beer bong, HUGE funnel feeding a T28BB turbo, blowing into a custom mandral bent plastic hose then into the mouth of the drinker..........she pulls 2BAR beer pressure, runs a surge keg to make sure the funnel is never empty, and makes 600hoseHP..........................:-)

I love this guy!!!!!!! LMAO

Offline Nebuchernezzer

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #1 on: 08:23:55 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
The S13 and S15 diffs are both short nose R200 diffs.  The Z32 diff is also a variant of the short nose R200.  The centre may be able to be adapted to a long nose R200 but certainly not into the smaller R180.  You can fit a long nose R200 to your S12 in LSD for or see if you can fit later model LSD guts into it.

If looks could kill you'd have eyes like cyanide...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/zeruel

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #2 on: 08:30:09 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
So let me get this strait......I cant swap guts due to the length of the dif front to back......But I can possibly use an S13 Diff? What about the rear axels? Will they go into the diff? or will I need S13 rear axels and S13 rear hubs?

[--------Is not an older car diff buff.......Sorry.....

yeah man, forced induction drinkin is the way, i built a killer beer bong, HUGE funnel feeding a T28BB turbo, blowing into a custom mandral bent plastic hose then into the mouth of the drinker..........she pulls 2BAR beer pressure, runs a surge keg to make sure the funnel is never empty, and makes 600hoseHP..........................:-)

Offline Nebuchernezzer

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #3 on: 08:48:09 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
Nah you can\'t use the centre cos it\'s for a R200 diff (a short nosed one).  The R180 is smaller (180mm crownwheel not 200mm like an R200).  If you put in a R200 diff you have to use a long nosed one (from Z31, R31 etc) and Z31 or similar axles.  THEN your Z32 centre MIGHT fit but i don\'t know about that.  You could always just buy a R200 with a clutch pack LSD, but steer clear of anything viscous (late Z31 i believe).

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #4 on: 08:51:20 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
Nah you can\'t use the centre cos it\'s for a R200 diff (a short nosed one).  The R180 is smaller (180mm crownwheel not 200mm like an R200).  If you put in a R200 diff you have to use a long nosed one (from Z31, R31 etc) and Z31 or similar axles.  THEN your Z32 centre MIGHT fit but i don\'t know about that.  You could always just buy a R200 with a clutch pack LSD, but steer clear of anything viscous (late Z31 i believe).

Why? I love my Viscous in my 240sx....(Ka24DE Spraying).....

Offline Nebuchernezzer

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #5 on: 10:37:41 PM / 23-Aug-04 »
Not from personal experience i\'m afraid but alot of the local drift types reckon the viscous is a little crappy.  I have a clutch pack so i don\'t know how they drive but they seem to open wheel a bit before they lock up and generally don\'t seem to act as positively as a clutch.  It\'s listed in multiple local sources as the first thing to upgrade.  If your not looking to drift you probably won\'t be placing as much emphasis on the diffs locking characteristics but scene as most long nose R200s are clutch packs (not as positive and tight as an aftermarket but still good) you should look for one of them and not the later viscous ones.  Upside is that short nose viscous LSDs are dime a dozen things.

Offline vg30e_x2_200sx

• http://0
Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #6 on: 05:04:29 AM / 24-Aug-04 »
If he\'s planning on swapping the guts (I.E. the carrier it self and nothing else) all he would need is an R200 long nose out of an 86-88 200 and swap the ring gear onto it.

Trying to put an R200 carrier into an R180 diff housing would be like trying to stuff a ford 9\" into a chevy 12 bolt housing......it just won\'t fit.

Randy

San Jose, California U.S.A.

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #7 on: 11:29:34 AM / 24-Aug-04 »
If he\'s planning on swapping the guts (I.E. the carrier it self and nothing else) all he would need is an R200 long nose out of an 86-88 200 and swap the ring gear onto it.  

Trying to put an R200 carrier into an R180 diff housing would be like trying to stuff a ford 9\\\" into a chevy 12 bolt housing......it just won\'t fit.

Yeah we had a long talk about this at work today....( I\'m a tech for Nissan) And came up with the fact that for my purposes I need an R20 out of an older Z31 turbo......Thanks for the info guys......

Offline bartc_j

• Questionable Seller/BUYER BEWARE
  • S12 Guru
    • http://members.cardomain.com/bartc_2
Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #8 on: 12:46:45 PM / 24-Aug-04 »
hey if you can source 2 z31 diffs id greatly appreciate it ive been searching for one for a while now and still no luck
Bart
 '86 1.8L Turbo

Offline Alex Frost

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/05alex
Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #9 on: 03:16:11 PM / 24-Aug-04 »
Correct me if I\'m wrong, but I am 99% sure that the Z32 uses an R230...
The Nissan S12 Silvia...built while Nissan was still smokin' the green stuff
Cars...
2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
1988 Toyota Supra Turbo->->NOT SO Turbo
1987 S12 hatch...KAZU is BACK!!! and she still runs!!!
1986 S12 hatch...GONE!
1980 Toyota Celica "Sunchaser" w/ 20R Sold
Team Frost; there's nothing faster than cats on grass!

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #10 on: 09:22:40 PM / 24-Aug-04 »
hey if you can source 2 z31 diffs id greatly appreciate it ive been searching for one for a while now and still no luck

I have a Z junkyard just down the street from my house......He deals in nothing but Z\'s and some S12\'s.......Im sure I can pick u one up but we would have to work out a deal on how you can pay for it.....(I dont mean to be a dick I just cant afford to buy someone else a mod for there car.... :D

-Jeff

Offline JasterM5

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #11 on: 09:39:26 AM / 25-Aug-04 »
I wouldn\'t go with the VLSD if I were you. Its just like Neb said. I put in the VLSD from a 240 and yeah it helped but not alot. pretty much the same as putting in a VLSD from a z31 only i abit more pain in the ass. It\'s better to save the money and go directly for a clutch LSD. They\'re much better and you dont have to change the fluid as much. I find I gotta change the gear oil in my VLSD like 1 a month because of all the drifting.
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold
'02 Subaru RWD WRX -dead :(

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #12 on: 11:30:01 AM / 25-Aug-04 »
I wouldn\'t go with the VLSD if I were you. Its just like Neb said. I put in the VLSD from a 240 and yeah it helped but not alot. pretty much the same as putting in a VLSD from a z31 only i abit more pain in the ass. It\'s better to save the money and go directly for a clutch LSD. They\'re much better and you dont have to change the fluid as much. I find I gotta change the gear oil in my VLSD like 1 a month because of all the drifting.

Im not a drifer.......

Offline Mr.200

• S12 Guru
    • http://www.angelfire.com/freak/brutesquad/index.html
Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #13 on: 01:30:34 PM / 25-Aug-04 »
I\'m a bit confused ...

You have to change your diff oil why? The diff oil is not the VLSD. The viscous fluid itself is sealed and not rechargeable.

I\'ve heard that the VLSD fluid itself doesn\'t like to get super hot for very long, and as the VLSD uses heat to make itself not slip, they are kind of designed to wear out.

If you\'re burning up your diff oil that regularly ... something\'s a bit wrong. Did you swap the VLSD\'s cover plate on?

Might be time to make a diff cooler.

But yeah, long nose and short nose R200s can swap internals, not the entire assembly.

there\'s debate over whether or not the halfshafts have to be swapped out.

If I can ever get the last 2 bolts out of mine (Q45 VLSD) I\'ll know.

R180s no.

A used clutch type should probably rebuilt before it\'s thrashed on. A good driveline shop might be able to upgrade the clutches too.
1987 200sx CA18ETi - The Toad
1972 Dodge Charger 413ci/6.6L - The Bully

Matt
http://www.angelfire.com/freak/brutesquad/index.html

Offline Spooled

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #14 on: 05:16:29 PM / 25-Aug-04 »
Correct me if I\'m wrong, but I am 99% sure that the Z32 uses an R230...

Z32 Twin Turbo\'s came with R230\'s.  Z32 NA\'s came with R200\'s.  

Viscous LSD\'s are the least effective lsd type available.  This is because of the inherent lag before the viscous fluid is able to react to a torque difference between the two wheels.  VLSD\'s are still much better than an open diff, and 99% of people with VLSD\'s will love them because they\'re not racers, be it drag, drift, autocross, etc.  People who are racers and have experienced the difference between VLSD and other types know that the difference is pretty noticeable.  I can\'t stand the VLSD in my Z32 TT now that I have a Quaife LSD in my S12.  The difference between the two is nothing short of amazing.
"Have you ever been face down in the mud, and been kicked in the head, with an iron boot?  Of course you haven't, no one has.  It's a stupid question; forget I even asked" 

87 200SX SE-V6
90 300ZX Twin Turbo
93 Pathfinder SE
06 Mini Cooper S JCW

Offline Mechperformance

Z32 Lsd?
« Reply #15 on: 07:14:37 PM / 25-Aug-04 »
Z32 Twin Turbo\'s came with R230\'s.  Z32 NA\'s came with R200\'s.  

Viscous LSD\'s are the least effective lsd type available.  This is because of the inherent lag before the viscous fluid is able to react to a torque difference between the two wheels.  VLSD\'s are still much better than an open diff, and 99% of people with VLSD\'s will love them because they\'re not racers, be it drag, drift, autocross, etc.  People who are racers and have experienced the difference between VLSD and other types know that the difference is pretty noticeable.  I can\'t stand the VLSD in my Z32 TT now that I have a Quaife LSD in my S12.  The difference between the two is nothing short of amazing.

I will have to hand it to you.....I do love my Quaife in the SE S12 of mine.....
But your right......The VLSD is slow but usefull.....I preffer the HLSD, it responds almost instantaneous and limits wheels spin under a lot of boost in my expirience.....

(Quaife\'s are also garraunteed for life.....)