How can I ditch the small MAF sensor

Started by BoostedVG, 04:04:15 PM / 30-Sep-04

Previous topic - Next topic

BoostedVG

I want to install a 300zx computer so I can ditch my small MAF sensor. Can anyone tell me what the best year to get this from? I know the MAF sensor will plug right in but with the computer?

Anyone interested in turbocharging their vg? Shoot me a PM. Buck Ofama

Spooled

You can use any year 300ZX ECU with any year 300ZX MAF.  The problem is the o2 sensor.  The only 300ZX ECU that works with the stock o2 sensor is the 86 300ZX ECU.  Otherwise, you will need to modify your o2 sensor bung to accept the larger o2 sensor for the 300ZX.
"Have you ever been face down in the mud, and been kicked in the head, with an iron boot?  Of course you haven't, no one has.  It's a stupid question; forget I even asked" 

87 200SX SE-V6
90 300ZX Twin Turbo
93 Pathfinder SE
06 Mini Cooper S JCW

iliRandyili

Or go with a stand alone unit. But thats cheese.
*signature deleted for violation of the rules*

BoostedVG

Stand alone units are also very expensive and I dont think any of them are plug and play for the 200sx. The cheapest one I\'ve seen was Haltek at $1,100 when they were on some kind of promotional sale. You get to loose to MAF sensor for a MAP though. Anyways at the price it is now its my last resort.

Anyone interested in turbocharging their vg? Shoot me a PM. Buck Ofama

bartc_j

QuoteStand alone units are also very expensive and I dont think any of them are plug and play for the 200sx. The cheapest one I\'ve seen was Haltek at $1,100 when they were on some kind of promotional sale. You get to loose to MAF sensor for a MAP though. Anyways at the price it is now its my last resort.

u can just get any maf and use a s-afc to control it with.. its a way cheaper option then standalone
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

Jsvob03

..man, ive seen this question way too many times..we need a sticky..the 86 z31 ECU & MAF setup works best, with the stock o2 sensor, as confirmed 1 million times by lewis..(who has disappeared)..JUST make certain the ecu you buy is working..i currently have an 86 ECU & MAF..the ecu doesnt work at all.. :asshole: who sold it to me needs to die..

panda s12

Quote from: Jsvob03
..man, ive seen this question way too many times..we need a sticky..the 86 z31 ECU & MAF setup works best, with the stock o2 sensor, as confirmed 1 million times by lewis..(who has disappeared)..JUST make certain the ecu you buy is working..i currently have an 86 ECU & MAF..the ecu doesnt work at all.. :asshole: who sold it to me needs to die..
go to jim wolf tec and bye there ecu u can run any mass air flow u want its like 5 or 600 hundred bucks

Thee Duke

how much does the maf sensor and ecu help?

smoketrail

Quote from: Thee Duke
how much does the maf sensor and ecu help?
depends on your other upgrades. stock not much
I can never loose the cops because they always follow my smoketrail!

Spooled

Every little bit counts.  I have heard that the fuel and ignition timing maps on the Z31 300ZX ecu are a little more aggressive, but I have no data to back that up.  The MAF is NOT a bottleneck in the system, but is necessary for the swap to the Z31 ecu.  Really the gain, if anything, is minimal.
"Have you ever been face down in the mud, and been kicked in the head, with an iron boot?  Of course you haven't, no one has.  It's a stupid question; forget I even asked" 

87 200SX SE-V6
90 300ZX Twin Turbo
93 Pathfinder SE
06 Mini Cooper S JCW

firefox

i have a 86 ecu and maf
and i also have an s12 maf and ecu

my s12 runs with the both s12 and z31 ecus with the s12 maf or z31 maf

but the s12 maf with z31 ecu runs super rich

and the z31 maf on the s12 ecu runs super lean

the sensors are the same shit but the housing is different.  each ecu take this size difference into account.    so z31 ecu with s12 maf reads it like it has a shitload more air then it really does..... and the s12 ecu with the z31 maf reads it as having a leak somewhere in the intake past the maf.

soapdude

So, I hate to ask this, but the 86 300sx non turbo ecu just plugs right in, right?? Thanks!

cls12vg30

Quote from: soapdude
So, I hate to ask this, but the 86 300sx non turbo ecu just plugs right in, right?? Thanks!

If you're running the '86 Z31 (non-turbo) MAF, then that ECU will work perfectly with the stock S12 O2 sensor.
1988 200SX SE V6
2015 Jeep Renegade 1.4T

soapdude

celestialsilvia

As far as simply replacing the S12's AFM/MAF - ANY Z31 non-turbo MAF will plug into the S12 ECU? albeit runs lean?

1987 Nissan Silvia 300SX - Vintage 1989 MOMO 'Sistema' Wheel, Nismo Shift Knob & Shortened Throw Shifter, NTK O2 & NGK plugs & wires, Spectre Cold Air Intake w/AEM filter, Cat-delete/Straight-pipe & 3-inch APEX'i Exhaust, Yellow Bosch Foglamps, Pioneer Speakers, AC, AIV, CC, WW delete, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars & Bushings, Suspension Techniques Springs, S14 Silvia Badge, JDM clear corner & M30 clear bumper lights, Prothane Polyurethane Rear Subframe Mounts
1991 Infiniti M30 Convertible - 'Burgundy Berry Pearl' and Black Convertible Top w/ 'White Contact' Leather Interior, Sonar Suspension II, Green Hi-Flow Drop-In Air-Filter, Wood Dash Kit & Steering Wheel

demonic s12

Quote from: celestialsilviaAs far as simply replacing the S12's AFM/MAF - ANY Z31 non-turbo MAF will plug into the S12 ECU? albeit runs lean?

omg. read?
*BANNED*

celestialsilvia

woulda taken less typing to answer - I read the whole thing and a clear, direct answer is not here.

1987 Nissan Silvia 300SX - Vintage 1989 MOMO 'Sistema' Wheel, Nismo Shift Knob & Shortened Throw Shifter, NTK O2 & NGK plugs & wires, Spectre Cold Air Intake w/AEM filter, Cat-delete/Straight-pipe & 3-inch APEX'i Exhaust, Yellow Bosch Foglamps, Pioneer Speakers, AC, AIV, CC, WW delete, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars & Bushings, Suspension Techniques Springs, S14 Silvia Badge, JDM clear corner & M30 clear bumper lights, Prothane Polyurethane Rear Subframe Mounts
1991 Infiniti M30 Convertible - 'Burgundy Berry Pearl' and Black Convertible Top w/ 'White Contact' Leather Interior, Sonar Suspension II, Green Hi-Flow Drop-In Air-Filter, Wood Dash Kit & Steering Wheel

demonic s12

Quote from: Jsvob03..man, ive seen this question way too many times..we need a sticky..the 86 z31 ECU & MAF setup works best, with the stock o2 sensor, as confirmed 1 million times  

yep

Quote from: firefoxi have a 86 ecu and maf

my s12 runs with the both s12 and z31 ecus

but the s12 ecu runs super rich at part throttle

uhuh
*BANNED*

firefox

wow i must have been drunk or somthing.
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=23373

this link has the right info for swaping out your shit

Quotei have a 86 ecu and maf

my s12 runs with the both s12 and z31 ecus

but the s12 ecu runs super rich at part throttle

this should read

i have a 86 ecu and maf
and i also have an s12 maf and ecu

my s12 runs with the both s12 and z31 ecus with the s12 maf or z31 maf

but the s12 maf with z31 ecu runs super rich

and the z31 maf on the s12 ecu runs super lean

i've said it right several times. but wow wtf happend

Ju_S12_Turbo

Just to let everyone know, you WILL pass CA smog with this combo. I passed with no problems