Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keith's Front Mount Is In  (Read 10540 times)

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
Keith's Front Mount Is In
« on: 11:33:56 AM / 17-Mar-05 »
Finally some IC pics complete with pipe work!! :mike:
The one I got is made by XS Power, and they\'re sold by SS Auto Chrome out of North Carolina.

Not as HUGE as Bart\'s.....but since I didn\'t want to hack up the bumper for air flow....this one is perfect.

The specs..........
Bar & Plate Design.
27.5\" long x 6.5\" tall x 3.5\" thick, with 2.5\" inlets
It has a CFM flow rate of 760 and will support 510 hp.

In order for it to fit...some modification had to be done. Since the A/C dryer bottle is located out behind the grille...some cutting of the bumper support had to be done. The bumber support is double walled, so I just cut some of the outer wall out to allow for room using a 4\" angle grinder with a cutting wheel.

Before....

After.......

Since the intercooler I got only has 2 mounting tabs located on the end tanks...I had to get pretty creative with the mounting brackets. I used 1/2\" 12 gauge steel flat bar and formed it to the shapes I needed to get the IC mounted up like I wanted it. I made 4 brackets.....2 mount on the top rad. support, and the other 2 mount on the lower rad. support.

I pushed back the A/C dryer bottle so it\'s closer to the condenser to allow for more room

I also had to trim the air dam some. I had to trim out about 2\" so the IC could slip down behind the front lip. Only about a half of a row of fins is not in the air flow which is below the air dam.... all of the other rows are in the air flow pathway.
Also had to trim the sides of the air dam for the IC piping to fit behind.
Before......

After.......

For the piping I ordered mandrel U bends from Summit Racing.
I used 2\" O.D. for the hot side.....and 2.5\" O.D. for the cold side
To shorten up the length of the cold side pipe I decided to use a 90 degree coupler at the throttle body. Instead of using a cornered off sharp 90 degree coupler..I was able to find one with a nice smooth curve, like this....

Alright, the pics of the completed install with pipe work. Keep in mind the pipes are still bare metal. I still need to get them powder coated......but I\'m waiting for Bart to finish up with the top mounted turbo header, before so, because a portion of the hot side pipe will have to be re-done. Hopefully he\'ll finish up with the header before I\'m wearing adult diapers :laugh: No pressure, Bart.

It\'s hard to see, but the hole I cut for the cold side pipe is right between the frame rail and the shelf that the battery tray sits on. Bart gave me this idea.......thanks man.
Also, had to notch the fan shroud in one spot....don\'t even notice it as the pipe sits right in the notch.

Passenger side wheel well...........

Driver side wheel well..........

What do you think??

Facebook Share    

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline Joel07

• http://www.handcraftedracing.com
« Reply #1 on: 11:47:31 AM / 17-Mar-05 »
Looks nice man!   :headbang: So do you feel like a ricer running around with an unhooked-up FMIC?  j/k...  :laugh:

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #2 on: 11:51:46 AM / 17-Mar-05 »
Looks nice man!   :headbang: So do you feel like a ricer running around with an unhooked-up FMIC?  j/k...  :laugh:

Yeah.....actually I do :rofl:
I just don\'t plan to drive it much until it\'s plumbed.

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline myth_S12

• S12 Guru
« Reply #3 on: 12:34:45 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Hey Keith that\'s pretty badass.:kicknuts:   Clean ass car with a nicely mounted intercooler... damn years of owning a S12 must pay off now.  Good Work. ;-)

Offline love2drift

« Reply #4 on: 02:41:47 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
your car has to be the cleanest s12 I\'ve ever seen. nice intercooler also

Offline DoriToad

• S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 03:27:04 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Nice job Keith!

That cooler is sweet, and the price makes it that much sweeter.

I guess without the A/C stuff it\'ll be even easier.

I really like your mounting tabs too ... almost a V mount ;)

Did it hurt cutting up the cleanest S12 on the board?

Heh, it\'s easier taking the cut off wheel to a car that doesn\'t have a single matching panel.

I remember you were choosing between 2 ... which was the other one?

Mean Street Speed and Custom

Toques and Togue since '94

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
« Reply #6 on: 03:41:52 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Thats sweet Keith...

Off topic- what bulbs are you using in your markers? they are really bright. They ale also white instead of a yellowish tint.
May she rest in peace 07-12-06
1984 Nissan Silvia RS12 CA18ET

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 Ford Fiesta base model... and I mean BASE- Manual crank windows and no cruise control.

1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 5spd T-top *Project: White Knight*

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #7 on: 03:53:08 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Nice job Keith!

That cooler is sweet, and the price makes it that much sweeter.  

I guess without the A/C stuff it\'ll be even easier.

I really like your mounting tabs too ... almost a V mount ;)

Did it hurt cutting up the cleanest S12 on the board?

Heh, it\'s easier taking the cut off wheel to a car that doesn\'t have a single matching panel.

I remember you were choosing between 2 ... which was the other one?

Hey thanks......I don\'t know about it being the cleanest on the board though, cuz there are some nice ones on here.
Yeah....it would by far have been easier without the A/C....but it\'s very do-able with it in there.
The IC is mounted at the same angle as that bar that connects to the hood release and connects to the bottom of the rad support.......Being at this angle should allow great air flow through the IC.
Yeah I felt kinda weird hacking it up........but it felt really weird when I went to throw the scraps in the trash can:dontknow:
I can\'t remember the other one I was thinking about......since the server crashed, but it was almost $100 more.
I got this one for $170 and FREE shipping.

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #8 on: 04:02:32 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Thats sweet Keith...

Off topic- what bulbs are you using in your markers? they are really bright. They ale also white instead of a yellowish tint.

They are called \"5 LED Wedge Matrix LED Bulbs\"  
I got them from [url]http://autolumination.com/194.htm[/a] and they are the \"Super White\"  Scroll down, and you will see them
They are pretty cool, and bright as hell!  They have 1 foward facing led, and 4 leds that shoot off to the sides around the center one.  They were $6.99 each
I only got 2..one for each front socket....the amber side marker ones are amber 4 led bulbs I got from Auto Zone

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline cjae

• http://s12.tehcool.net
« Reply #9 on: 04:44:54 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
I\'m so jealous man. You\'ve got to have some of the cleanest installs of aftermarket mods that I\'ve ever seen.  From looking I\'d swear your car came out the showroom yesterday, and rolled outta the factory with those mods.

Easily one of my favorite s12s.  Wish I could say the same about my \'84 haha.

Offline oldschoolsilvia

• http://
« Reply #10 on: 05:28:03 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Looks really good...... :razz:

Offline rizer.one

• n00b
« Reply #11 on: 08:19:57 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Bart, did you get the fmic direct from ssauto? or through another source?

Offline rizer.one

• n00b
« Reply #12 on: 08:30:50 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Kieth, sorry man I got sidetracked and called you Bart.....my apologies! the question applies to you though.

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #13 on: 11:34:53 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Kieth, sorry man I got sidetracked and called you Bart.....my apologies! the question applies to you though.

ha, ha.....thats cool man.  No, I got it from one of their Ebay auctions.  Their on there all the time.  \"Buy it Now\" for $179 + $18 for shipping.  Don\'t ask me how I got mine for $170 and free shipping :dontknow:
Here\'s one of the few that are listed right now
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7961957442&category=33632[/a]

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline iliRandyili

« Reply #14 on: 11:36:38 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Nice Keith :) I see you got the led 194s in :)
*signature deleted for violation of the rules*

Offline bartc_j

• Questionable Seller/BUYER BEWARE
  • S12 Guru
    • http://members.cardomain.com/bartc_2
« Reply #15 on: 11:36:52 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Bart, did you get the fmic direct from ssauto? or through another source?

the one i have is from a defferent source but keith is from ssauto
Bart
 '86 1.8L Turbo

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #16 on: 11:43:51 PM / 17-Mar-05 »
Nice Keith :) I see you got the led 194s in :)

Yeah......thanks for letting me know where you got yours at.  There pretty bright!

I\'m so jealous man. You\'ve got to have some of the cleanest installs of aftermarket mods that I\'ve ever seen.  From looking I\'d swear your car came out the showroom yesterday, and rolled outta the factory with those mods.

Easily one of my favorite s12s.  Wish I could say the same about my \'84 haha.

Thanks for the props man......I appreciate it!!

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline pukkaSILVIA

• http://www.speed-junkies.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 02:56:13 PM / 19-Mar-05 »
Awesome mate
S12oc Admin Rep

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 11:55:47 AM / 31-Mar-05 »
Finally ordered the u bends yesterday:boobs:  
Hopefully I\'ll have it all plumbed up within the next couple of weeks.  I\'ll post up some pics of the finished product.

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline JasterM5

« Reply #19 on: 07:35:14 AM / 15-Apr-05 »
anyupdates?, I\'m eager to see where you route your piping
'87 200sx V6 Turbo -Sold
'02 Subaru RWD WRX -dead :(