Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote mount turbo V6 project  (Read 209391 times)

Offline XortioN

• n00b
Re: Remote mount turbo V6 project
« Reply #540 on: 11:16:01 AM / 17-Jan-14 »
haha! Nice sound and thx for the tip on that walbro. Gonna have to be doing the same in a few months :) :yay!:

Offline mc

« Reply #541 on: 09:51:27 AM / 19-Jan-14 »
haha! Nice sound and thx for the tip on that walbro. Gonna have to be doing the same in a few months :) :yay!:
...definitely upgrade the wire connections to the pump...cheap upgrade.

Offline mc

« Reply #542 on: 02:41:36 PM / 22-Mar-14 »
60 degrees in NY means it time for Spring cleaning or center driveshaft bushing repair....not to bad of a repair,

Post Merge

Post Merge

Post Merge
you'll need this cheap Harbor Freight bushing puller to pull the flange off and then again to pull the bushing off...very easy.

Post Merge
« Last Edit: 04:45:39 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #543 on: 10:28:21 PM / 22-Mar-14 »
Nice work!

Offline mc

« Reply #544 on: 08:37:11 AM / 23-Mar-14 »
thanks...still waiting on the replacement part to be delivered[I tried a new mail order place called Autohause, very good prices/free shipping]...I went on to remove the rear cross member to replace its  2 bushings with a poly  kit from Arcadian...I struggled getting the cross member out as the rear turbo pipes were in the way...the rear control arms were tight disengaging from the cross member..i definitely could of used some help getting it out but managed..i'm dreading on the reinstall!! LOL...I am sore all over today!!  I have poly bushings for the rear control arms but my stock stuff still looks great, not sure its worth the hassle burning out the bushings to reinstall the poly..these kits should of come with new metal center tubes so you don't have the hassle of reusing the old metal....I have rear wheel bearings to install as wel,l so I have to unbolt the control arms either way.

Post Merge

Post Merge

Post Merge

Post Merge
...as others have posted, I used a air cutting disk , sawzall and a sharp small chisel, to very carefully cut through the metal outer bushing shel without damaging the c member..just cut it enough to weaken and the chisel does the rest...its pretty easy.
« Last Edit: 04:47:17 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline s12rich

• Wanna Race?
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 200SX
  • S12 Silvia
« Reply #545 on: 05:16:34 PM / 24-Mar-14 »
nice work ... I didn't have any issues pulling the old bushings out ...I also had the new polys milled down more to try to get some of that rear camber out

Offline mc

« Reply #546 on: 07:24:53 PM / 24-Mar-14 »
thanks...today I used just about every Harbor Freight tool I own on the rear  pass control arm!!...impact gun to blast off the axle stub nut...3 jar puller to pop off the stub flange...20 ton press to extract stub axle....tomorrow i'll press in the new wheel bearings and paint it.
Post Merge
pressed off/on the outer rear wheel bearing today...getting it off was extra work because I had to press the wheel studs off so I could get the wrap around clamp to press the bearing out....I'm still rigging up a device to pressin  the inner bearing...I removed it by hammer and socket.
« Last Edit: 04:48:16 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #547 on: 01:18:28 PM / 26-Mar-14 »
...I started the removal process of the rear control arm bushings...its drill rubber,heat with Mapp gas and grab the inner metal bushing and it twists out with vise grips....then back to Mapp gas and burn out the old rubber while scrubbing out with wire brush....this sucks LOL.....one of four is almost done...I need to find a wire brush attachment for my drill to hone it out clean so the poly slides in easy.
Post Merge

Post Merge
found this in Harbor Freight this afternoon..they have mini wire brushes to fit on a drill chuck....I had to crunch it down some to fit the inner metal sleeve diameter but it works great once you get it going...passenger side bushings are done!!

Post Merge
« Last Edit: 04:49:12 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #548 on: 11:30:25 AM / 28-Mar-14 »

Post Merge
I used some VHT epoxy suspension paint to freshen up.

Post Merge
« Last Edit: 04:50:19 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #549 on: 01:56:58 PM / 30-Mar-14 »
...cross member reinstalled...differential rebolted to it.....poly cross member bushings are so hard its very difficult to get the retaining nuts to thread on.
« Last Edit: 04:51:09 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #550 on: 09:38:02 PM / 31-Mar-14 »
...remounted the new center carrier bearing.

Post Merge
...replaced the upper rear brake hoses...of course the line snapped so I had to splice in a new section of tube...I never used a double flair tool before but it came out decent.
« Last Edit: 04:51:56 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #551 on: 01:29:12 PM / 04-Apr-14 »
...I finished reassembling everything last nite ... excellent overall upgrade.. the rear half of car  feels attached now making it very responsive...I need to track down a rear sqeaking noise in reverse gear..and re=bleed the four brakes again as they still feel vague...and get another alignment.

Offline mc

« Reply #552 on: 08:38:59 AM / 06-Apr-14 »
I found the FSM and retorqued every connection to spec in the rear suspension...I found the rear half section of driveshaft was making the creaking in reverse...it has some slight play in the sealed u=joint and it doesn't look like a serviceable part so i'll be pricing a shaft replacement...I soaked it in some wd40 and its quiet for now.....rebled the brakes and they felt great but on return test drive became very mushy...rechecked every connection and cant find a leak...I looked at the back of vacuum brake booster and its pretty wet and rusty but master cylinder is almost new....still searching.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #553 on: 12:16:09 AM / 07-Apr-14 »
Sounds like the booster may be your issue...

Offline mc

« Reply #554 on: 07:39:50 PM / 08-Apr-14 »
...while checking for brake leaks, I found the front pass side ball joint rocking/rattling around in its bore??  unreal,,,i pulled out the control arm and threw in a spare control arm...very easy job .

Offline mc

« Reply #555 on: 08:18:45 PM / 12-Apr-14 »
...I pulled out the brake booster today....I had to remove the drivers valve cover for clearance..which meant i had to remove the t'b and distrib..I decided it was a good time to overhaul the clutch master since I had access now...very simple part to rebuild.
« Last Edit: 04:52:40 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #556 on: 08:57:43 PM / 13-Apr-14 »
...mounted up the booster today and set the depth of the booster piston to the MC using paint ...its set perfect now.

Post Merge
« Last Edit: 04:53:47 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #557 on: 12:33:11 PM / 16-Apr-14 »
...my brakes are excellent now...very fast to pull down the car speed..never have they been this good!!...and rebuilding the clutch master was a success, clutch pedal  feels great...did a oil change with Rotella T6 5w-40...here is a side by side of stock oil  filter and the monster I usually use...it takes a bit of practice to get the big one in her!!
« Last Edit: 04:54:20 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #558 on: 07:53:40 PM / 22-Apr-14 »
...swapped in a spare 87 turbo ecu instead of the 86 turbo...seems to respond much better overall.... I also  like that it has 5 separate ECU check modes instead of the two on the 86's....I ebay bought a PRW-2 to try out and see if helps.
Post Merge
...drained out the trans fluid...the drain plug was seized in it pretty tight....the magnet had some collected wear.
« Last Edit: 04:54:49 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »

Offline mc

« Reply #559 on: 04:36:48 PM / 24-Apr-14 »
...refill nut wasn't moving so I had to fill through the shifter...remove the snap ring and the shifter lifts right out.

« Last Edit: 04:55:15 PM / 02-Nov-17 by mc »